Jan 13, 2008

Almond Shortbread (Greek Shortbread-Kourabiedes)


I'm no expert at Greek cooking, but I was craving a crumbly, almond shortbread type biscuit, so I thought I would try making Kourabiedes. I wouldn't even know how to pronounce it. But what I lack in Greek Literacy, I made up in taste! However, if your Ya-Ya was to come over & complain they don't taste authentic enough, it's probably because I didn't stick word-for-word to the recipe. Once again...I added my own little flare. But it did pay off, as I received a quote; "This is the best tasting biscuit I've ever had!!" However, that was from my husband & he has to say nice things. But today, I do tend to agree with him.

Makes: 35

Ingredients
175g unsalted butter
1/3 cup icing sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 tablespoons brandy
1 egg yolk
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1/4 cup rice flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
100g almond meal
sifted icing sugar, for dusting

Method
Preheat oven to 180°C. Line tray with baking paper.
Beat butter and sugar until light and creamy. Add vanilla essence, brandy and egg yolk & beat till well combined.
Fold through sifted flour, baking soda and almond meal. Take scant tablespoons worth of the mixture and roll. Curve into a crescent shape and place on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned.
Pour some icing sugar into a bowl & coat each biscuit while they are still warm. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
When cooled, dust with icing sugar for a more even appearance.





2 comments:

Vivienne said...

look yummy! any left for me when I am back in Adelaide ?

Sam Sotiropoulos said...

Hi, you might want to try these Greek almond biscuits: http://greekgourmand.blogspot.com/2008/03/amygdalota-almond-biscuits.html

Be Well,

Sam Sotiropoulos
Greek Gourmand