Jan 22, 2008

Stir fry Vegetables, Fish & Udon noodles

It's been a little while since my last entry. I was wondering whether it would be my last, but it turns out I couldn't resist! Plus I couldn't disappoint the small, but faithful followers who have taken time out to give me good, encouraging feed back. Thanks guys!

Tonight, I have another simple, after work, chuck stuff in the wok, kinda recipe. It's a weekday recipe & those people out there who work & have young kids will understand the importance of "quick" meals!

Feeds 4, or 3 very hungry people

Ingredients:
2 cloves garlic
3cm cube of ginger (optional - I didn't use any tonight, but it gives a very different, but nice taste)
1 dash of sesame oil (optional - but gives a nice smell to the dish)
1 teaspoon - 1 tablespoon olive oil (depends on your non-stick pan & how healthy you want to be)
300g fish cut into wedges (I used snapper, but this breaks up very easily when frying. I recommend "kingfish" or similar white, thick fleshy fish. I think Barramundi would be good too)
Vegetables:
1 bunch of Bok Choy
1 carrot
1/2 capsicum
1 handful of snow peas
1 handful of broccoli stems
(I can keep listing all kinds of vegetables, but any veg is good. Some other suggestions are Cauliflower, Chinese broccoli, mushrooms, onions, choy sum, celery. Nothing, which will result in the stir fry turning wet. I.e. avoid lettuce. Keep the proportion of veggies to fish of 3:1.)
2 spring onion stems
1 cup Chicken stock
1 tablespoon Oyster sauce
1/2 tablespoon Soy sauce
2 teaspoons of corn flour
(mix Chicken stock, Oyster sauce, soy sauce & corn flour all together in small bowl)
500g Udon noodles (You can use any type of noodles, but I prefer Udon or Shanghai noodles) Prepare the noodles per the packet instructions.
salt to taste

Instructions:
Heat wok with oils, garlic & ginger. Add fish & cook till lightly browned. Try not to move the fish around too much, otherwise the fish may break up into flakes. Lightly fry on once side, then gently turn over & brown the other side. Remove the fish from the wok & place into separate bowl to avoid further break-up. Add vegetables to the wok & stir-fry till cooked. (Will take about 5mins). Once vegetables are cooked, add the fish & noodles. Mix all together.
Add the small bowl of flavouring to the wok & continue to mix all together. The corn flour will thicken up the sauce. Add salt to taste.

Variations:
- Rather than fish, use any kind of meat
- Cook steamed rice as a side dish, rather than adding noodles.
- Add 1 tablespoon sweet soy sauce & 3 stems of fresh basil leaves, for a Thai flavour

No comments: