Jan 14, 2008

Simple Steak & Salad - favourite sauces

Tonight I cooked an extremely simple BBQ Marinated Scotch Fillet Steak & Maggie Beer Vino Cotto Salad for 2. This dinner took me <1/2 hr to prepare & cook. It left me time to enjoy the great evening weather & went bike riding with the family.

Below is a picture of my 2 favourite sauces:

1. Maggie Beer's Vino Cotto; it's like a sweet balsamic vinegar. Use it sparingly, drizzled over salad. You don't need a lot of it, to make a statement. Probably only about 1 tablespoon. It's also great with your best olive oil for dipping bread. I first got introduced to it through my sister-in-law who bought it direct from the Maggie Beer farm, but you don't need to travel to the Barrossa Valley to buy it, as it should be in David Jones.

2. Korean BBQ meat marinade. I don't know what it says on the label, but it's a really nice beef marinade. Just a tablespoon of it rubbed over 1 piece of steak, then grilled, is great. You can find this sauce in any Korean Grocery. There are a couple on Grote St in Adelaide city.


I chose 175g Scotch Fillet steak, as I find it to be the most tender, as it has the most fat. But heh, you only live once right? If I'm only going to eat meat once (or twice) a week, I might as well enjoy it : )

For the salad, it was a handful of baby spinach leaves, 6 raw snow peas, 1 tomato, 1 avocado, 1/2 carrot, 1/3 capsicum. These were the only veggies in my fridge tonight, but the dressing will go great with anything.

No comments: